Monday, March 14, 2011

A Comedy of Errors

Last night the boys waged war on us and they almost won.

It started off when Mike had to go run some errands for us during Cavin's nap time. Well, then Cavin woke up with a bad cough, screaming, and generally unhappy. Of course, crying is contagious so my super happy smiling Ellis turned into a crying mess as well. This was my first time alone with both boys and it was not getting off to a good start. Somehow I managed to get both boys calmed down and downstairs just as Mike got home.

Fast forward 30 minutes when we decided to take Ellis' footprints for his baby book. Between the blue ink, newborn kicks, and getting that 'perfect' footprint (which didn't happen) it took the attention of two parents. We both left Cavin happily playing with his toys, or so we thought. We quickly learned our lack of man-to-man defense was a bad idea when we looked up to find this:



Yes, Cavin found some foam soap and managed to squirt almost half a bottle of it all over himself and the floor...at the same time Ellis is stomping blue ink all over his chair since our attention was diverted elsewhere. And we looked over in the kitchen and Cavin had also managed to dump both dog bowls of water all over the floor. After tearing off Cavin's shirt and taking a picture (always documenting!), I scooped up Ellis and directed Cavin upstairs for his bath. Mike stayed downstairs to clean up the aftermath.

Once I got upstairs, Ellis started crying again at the same time that Cavin just HAD to be picked up and loved on. As I changed Ellis' diaper, Cavin began throwing diapers all around the room in protest. To divert his attention I told Cavin to go get his bath ready. I finished Ellis' diaper to turn around to see our bathroom flooded with water. Cavin found the water scoop and was dumping water on himself while standing outside the bath tub. I put Ellis in the crib, threw his paci in his mouth allthewhile screaming "NOOO!!!" to Cavin. As I ran towards Cavin he tried to jump in the bathtub himself (maybe my face was THAT scary) so he ended up nearly injuring himself in the process as he slid on the wet bathroom floor.

At this point Ellis gave up and fell asleep. Point parents. (What does that make the score? 150 to 1?)

I got Cavin bathed while managing to clean up the floor just as Mike was finishing up downstairs. So he brought Cavin downstairs to feed him dinner just as Ellis woke up. I then stuck Mr. Blue toes in the bath tub where he started to scream. He pretty much screamed off and on for the next hour and a half until I fed him and put him to bed.

As for Mike and myself? Looking back we made a lot of mistakes...but that's how we learn right? One thing is for sure...the only two things on our side last night were our two bottles of Blue Moon beer.

No comments: