Wednesday, June 17, 2009

If I can JUST figure out a way to clone myself

So the dreaded time of every new mother is here....the time to look for day care. I decided to start a little early because I felt as if it may take me a bit longer to find something suitable for my sweet angel. One, because everyone knows I hate making decisions and two, nothing is good enough for my child. Nothing except this great center called The Spruiell Household apparently.

I started my search on Monday with two day care centers. I left the first one in tears and I cried AT the second one. I feel the need to say that there really wasn't anything wrong with the two centers, the tears came from a place of 'Oh my God I have to leave my child soon. I wonder if my boss was serious about using Cavin on projects and billing him out at $50 an hour'. On Tuesday I visited an in-home day care and today I visited another day care center.

Every time I visit a place, I of course give Mike the detailed run-down. So far, I haven't found the place of my dreams. And like I said, there's really nothing wrong with each center, it's just that....well...feeling you get / don't get. That being said, here are some of the reasons (aka excuses for postponing the inevitable decision) I have either given Mike or told myself:

1) There was a tear in the changing table.
2) The front door was unlocked.
3) One of the kids was dirty and had really messy hair. To which Mike replied "honey, our son is going to get very dirty in his childhood". To which I replied "that's fine. it is our child. but there's something to be said about cleanliness." (By the way, I realize this makes NO sense at all to anyone else but me.)
4) The kids were sleeping on the floor! (later after consulting with my mom, I realized that this, in fact, is normal)
5) They quote their price in a weekly rate but want us to pay monthly. I don't want to do the math.
6) She kept calling him Kevin!
7) The lobby smelled like sauerkraut (even though the classrooms were immaculate).
8) We aren't Russian.
9) The lady spoke too loud.
10) They were too close to the freeway.
11) It was like a baby factory...cribs everywhere! I didn't walk in and see a beautiful nursery full of white furniture with block letters that spelled "Cavin" on the wall.
12) Our baby would by far be the cutest one there. That's a lot of pressure.

Bottom line is this: I trust myself, my husband, the grandparents, and our friends to take care of Cavin; however, apparently I do NOT trust someone with a day care license, child care degree from an accredited university, and years and years of child care experience.

Makes complete sense to me.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Oh boy... do I HEAR you!!! I LOL'd at some of you "reasons"... but the truth is... it IS going to be hard!!

Stacy said...

Oh, this is a tough one! But don't worry, you will find a place and he will be fine! And you will still be his favorite person ever! (That was my fear when I went back to work!) Have you priced nannies vs. daycare? That was easier for me to stomach the first year.

Me, Myself and Ei said...

sooo...should i move to SF and become your nanny? :)