Friday, January 14, 2011

Hambone

One of my best friends, Katie, and I have a long-time running joke about a man nick-named 'Hambone'. She once saw a special on this 2000+ pound man who had to be air lifted out of his house because he was so large. She and I became obsessed with how someone could get that large with no one around him to even so much as give a small hint to the fact that maybe he should cut back on the 20 cheeseburgers he was eating in one meal or a friend to coerce the guy into some gentle exercise.

So from that day forward, Katie and I vowed that if one of us was heading towards 'Hambone status', we would take the other for a walk.

I mention this story because as I reach the pregnancy milestone of 37 weeks today (full-term!) I have to say I feel pretty damn large. Not in pounds as somehow I've managed to gain the same amount of weight as my last pregnancy...but I just feel larger than last time. I don't remember my muscles being this sore or tired, random people on the street make comments like "any day now right!?", and a friend / co-worker of mine wrote to me the other day and said "And try not to get too much bigger. I know I always put on weight this time of year. Given your current situation, you run the risk of literally exploding." Very humorous! But you know what? Frankly, I don't think I'd argue if a helicopter showed up at my door to take me to work every day.

So far though, Katie hasn't shown up in California to take me on a walk so I think I'm doing pretty good. You tell me...


In all honesty, I have felt pretty good...until the last 3 days. I blame that almost entirely on this big deadline we had at work this week, making for long nights and intense days at the office. That has passed by for the most part so I think my body just needs some R&R.

Numero Dos is chugging right along. His heart rate is great, he's moving a lot (making me a bit worried that we have another active one on our hands), he's head down, and he's growing at a bit of a faster rate than Cavin did at this point (judging from my doctor's measurements of my belly size)...so I'm curious how his stats compare after delivery!

Aside from that, we have been busy organizing the house, cleaning out the guest room to get ready for grandma's arrival, setting up secondary child care and pet care should I go into labor earlier than anticipated, and packing our hospital bags (gulp). It is getting pretty exciting around the Spruiell house!

3 comments:

Lesley Schooler said...

You do look bigger than you did with Cavin. Do you have a picture from 37 weeks with Cavin to do a side by side comparison?

You still look fabulous though. I can't wait to meet Numero Dos!

Erin T said...

YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Mully said...

The best thing about a big belly is knowing you have a big healthy baby in there! Good luck with the next few weeks!