Friday, April 6, 2012

1-0 WHAT?

Last Sunday started off as a fun outing to the Chabot Space and Science Center (compliments of my dear friend Rebecca and Rosemont).  We saw lots of astronauts, rockets, saw a movie at the planetarium, and even got to pretend like we were weightless in a space shuttle!



And then somewhere around the Moon Odyssey exhibit Cavin asked to sit in the stroller.  I don't think he's sat in the stroller when we've been out for about a year so I knew something was up.  He said he was tired (it was 1.5 hours before nap time) and wanted to go home (what??).  So we quickly packed up and headed home.  By the time we got home his temperature was 105.1 (was that a fluke??).  We threw some Tylenol down his throat and hoped for the best.

The next morning I took him into the doctor and they were really worried about how high his fever was.   They said words like "kidney infection" and "pneumonia".  They asked me if he had other symptoms and I said "no".  Sounds like a good answer right?  Well, it wasn't.  The lack of other symptoms led them to believe there was something internally wrong and not just some run-of-the-mill virus.  Can I just say I've mastered the art of the freak out with facial expressions that show absolutely no worry.

A day later he was still running fevers north of 104.5.  When the Tylenol would wear off and his fever would spike over 102, it was inevitable that he would puke all over me.  He frequently fell asleep on our living room floor under his favorite blankie crying that he was "soooo cold"...meaning his fever was climbing.  I took him in and blood showed up in his urine indicating a bladder or kidney infection.  My first question: "HOW DO HIS LUNGS SOUND??"  I have every right to be paranoid about pneumonia. 


We had to wait 24 hours for the urine culture to come back negative. And after 5 fever-ish days without eating I can now report he is better and his mommy has exited the land of 'overreaction' and I'm in a much better place.  Today when he asked for pancakes for lunch and dinner he got it.  Who cares that it wasn't a green vegetable because he was eating! 

And what is it about kids always seem to get sick on Sunday evenings and then are magically better by the weekend?  My boss would love to know the answer to that one.

1 comment:

Adrienne Bash said...

Oh my goodness...how scary! Poor Cavin. I am so glad he is feeling better. Is there anything I can do to help?