Saturday, March 31, 2012

Keep the old because they are gold

Do you know those people you just cannot live without?  The ones who when you are at a low point they first cry with you and then they sit with you and then they lift you up?  And when you are at a high point in your life they are there too.  And even when they aren't physically there...they are there. And when you don't talk to them for months on end, you pick up right where you left off.  If you don't have people like that then you need to find them. They are called best friends and they can be found right there by your side.

















A couple weeks before my mom died I found myself in the hospital, alone sitting by my mom's bed. I had just heard "the prognosis is not good" from my mom's lead doctor. My heart was beating fast and my mind was racing. But I just couldn't move my body. So that's what shock felt like. I knew I needed to make a lot of phone calls - to Mike, to my aunts and uncles...to my dad. But I couldn't move. 20 minutes went by and I don't believe I move a muscle. My computer was on my lap set to gmail and I clicked on "compose". The first four people I turned to was Meredith, Jana, Eileen, and Adrienne. Because I needed God. But I was mad at God. And I needed them to remind me that He was there. So I asked them to pray...and to send me Bible verses. Because my mom was dying and I didn't know what to do with myself. Then I picked up the phone, lost it with Mike (who put me back together), composed myself and made the tough phone calls to my dad and my mom's siblings.

When my mom died those girls cried too...because having known me for - I don't know - 19 years (?) they were close to my mom too.  And when it was time to go through mom's house in Houston guess who was there to make it more of a party than a sob-fest?  You got it. 



Meredith brought her baby girl Norah to hang out and I instantly fell in love with her.  Oh-my-Lordy that girl is such a cutie and she had no problem skipping a nap to enjoy the parade of fashions as we all tried on my mother's clothes, shoes, jewelry, etc.  Norah even ended up with a fabulous Christmas sweater (watch out Plutts!) from Lois' collection.

While the girls stuffed their faces with queso and chips in the kitchen I stole Norah for some self portraits. 


Obviously, it didn't work out that well so I confessed and reluctantly asked someone to take a picture of us.


Meanwhile, Jana played dress-up with Cavin. 


Judging from Cavin's expression I'm going to need a lot more Norah in my life if mom's jewelry is going to get any real use.

So thank you old friends for taking care of me while I went through my mom's personal things.  Meredith, Jana, Eileen, and Adrienne.  And you aren't the only ones.  There's my Rosemont girls too. And the new friends I've met here in California. Bottom line is when Sh#$ hit the fan, my girls were there in many ways, shapes and forms.  And I am speechless with the amount of support I have received.  I can honestly say there is no way I could not of gotten through any of this without you.  Thank you for the support, the laughter, and the tears.

(Rosemont - you're next!)

No comments: