Friday, March 5, 2010

Calling Tod and Bryan...

Uncle Tod and Uncle Bryan...you are ON DECK!


Cavin has 5 uncles: Greg, Andy, Erik, Tod, and Bryan. (Not counting great-uncles or 'friend' uncles of course.) If Cavin needs his taxes done, his house remodeled, or a room at the Hilton he will know who to call. Right now he doesn't need those things. What he might need in the near future is someone who is trained in handling emergencies and injuries. Calling Uncle Tod, the firefighter, and Uncle Bryan, the police officer...you are officially on notice.

Yesterday I was lucky enough to stay home from work with a healthy Cavin. After another couple days of booger snot, coughing, fever (104.5 anyone?), and general unhappiness from my little boy I was thrilled to have my playful, smiling boy back! However, it was an unlucky day for the little guy.

In a short period of 24 hours, the following happened:

1) He hit is head against the wall while crawling down the hall (Result: lots of crying, no bruise)
2) He pinched his fingers in his dresser drawer (Result: lots of crying)
3) He pinched his fingers in his book by pushing down on the book with his other hand (Result: lots of crying)
4) As I was lying on the floor of his room, he got really excited and crawled really fast towards me, tripped, and his head fell right on my teeth (Result: lots of crying and a big swollen bruise on his head)
5) He was shaking a tambourine in music class and sliced the side of his eye with the edge of the instrument (Result: lots of crying and a swollen, red eye lid)
6) Tripped while crawling quickly across the room with a truck in his mouth (Result: lots of crying, cut his lip, and blood!!)
7) Slipped in the tub and hit his head against the side (Result: lots of crying and a red bruise that went away rather quickly) - If ANYONE can give me some points as to how to get this kid to sit down in the tub, I am all ears! Mike and I have been struggling with this for a while!!
8) Decided in the middle of the night to stand in his crib to pull a blanket down, but in his 1/2 sleep, he must of slipped b/c all I heard was a BANG! (Result: lots of crying and a big 'ole red mark on his cheek)
This morning I am happy to say that two of the bruises are gone, his eye looks clear, and his lip looks normal. He does have the red gash on his cheek still from the overnight incident.

There. Judge me as a mom. I'm okay with it. I will take the blame for a lot of these but if any of you are a parent of: 1) a boy or 2) a very energetic baby who wants nothing to do with you and everything to do with the world around him/her, you are probably empathizing with me. For every one of these occasions, I was no further than 5 feet away from him. At many times, I even had a hold of him and couldn't protect him from injuring himself!

I am home with Cavin again today so if yesterday is any indication as to how today might go, then Tod and Bryan, consider yourselves on call!

1 comment:

janessa said...

oh, I'm very familiar with each and every one of those injuries! I'm so sorry that they all happened within a 24 hour period!

I will tell you they quickly learn how to keep fingers out of books, away from the 'closing' part of the drawers, and if you keep hammering away at the 'sit on your bottom, please!' in the tub, that sticks, too... hopefully he learned all of those lessons yesterday!