Friday, February 20, 2009

Confessions of a sugar-crazed pregnant woman

My name is Jamie. I am 31.5 weeks pregnant. I cannot go hours without sugar. I blame this on the pregnancy, specifically the third trimester. Like clockwork, the 28th week rolled around and all I could think about were cookies and ice cream. I knew my addiction was bad when I started attempting to hide my indulgences from those closest to me. But when I think about it...there's no reason to hide! I've done well on the weight gain for where I am in my pregnancy, I've eaten relatively well for the last 7 months, and I've only got two months to go. As Mike so eloquently put it "You've got less than 2 months left...all bets are off!"...it is times like these I am reminded why I married this wonderful man.

But in the spirit of being open and not feeling like I'm eating sugar in a dark closet where I'm sure no one will find me, I feel the need to confess (and make a few of you laugh). So here it goes!

1. I have had AT LEAST one cookie every afternoon for the last 2 weeks (maybe more). Notice the use of the phrase "at least".
2. Mike and I (mostly me) downed a bag of double stuffed oreos - dipped in milk of course - this weekend while catching up on our DVR'd episodes of The Biggest Loser. The irony alone is funny.
3. I bought Mike 6 chocolate covered strawberries and 2 chocolate covered oreos for Valentine's day. Mike had one oreo and 1 strawberry. The rest is gone. You do the math.
4. I just snuck out of work early today, forwarded my office phone to my cell phone, and rushed to Baskin Robbins for some ice cream...all in time to down it before Mike got home to see me.
5. We've gotten in the habit of making chocolate and strawberry milk as a treat before bedtime...but we vow to only do this on occasion during the week. We already had a few this week so while Mike was in the other room, I secretively made myself a chocolate milk, ran to the bedroom, and gulped it down before Mike could notice.
6. Mike gave me a bag of chocolates for Valentine's Day. I told him I was going to take them to the office so people would eat them there. Instead I kept them in my office for an entire day and snacked on them off and on throughout the day. My boss was in my office while we were on a conference call and I kept them under my desk and would slip one into my mouth when he wasn't looking....repeat 5 times.
7. After the conference call, I took said chocolates bag to the receptionist and told her to lay them out for others in the office and that under no circumstances was I allowed to have any more. She agreed. 30 minutes later I walked by her desk and noticed she had stepped away...so I stole 5 chocolates very quickly and rushed away before she could notice!
8. The other day, someone asked me about my pregnancy diet - was I eating healthy and did I have any big cravings. I told them no big cravings and I was eating pretty healthy and was proud of myself. 3 weeks ago this was a true statement. After reading #1 - 7, do you agree?

2 comments:

Mrs. Matt said...

I am laughing out loud at my desk right now!!!!! HAAAAAA!!!!

Me, Myself and Ei said...

this is hilarious. just be warned - my sister ate tons of candy and crap during her pregnancy and her kids are total sugar hounds! so baby s might have a bit of a sweet tooth :)