Monday, August 8, 2011

One half year

You see this kid?

(picture taken by Janessa, who also knitted the adorable green cap)

He's 6 months old now.  That's half way done with his first year.  The first year.  Whenever we attend a first year birthday party or a run into a fellow mom who states that her baby just turned a year old, do you know what I say to them?  "Congratulations!"  And why?  Because the first year is HARD.  There's no getting around it.  The 'what ifs', the decisions, the guilt thinking 'what if I made the wrong decision??', the pressure, the worry, oh and that lack of sleep!  Don't get me wrong, it is way worth it. But once that baby turns 1, things got easier.  However, at that point, he's not a "baby" anymore.  So, well, the whole thing is bitter sweet.

But you know what?  I'm enjoying this first year. Sure it is challenging, and difficult, trying, and I could stand to get more sleep.  But I've got THIS.

And THIS has taught me some things - to relax, take things in stride, make time for a little extra love and cuddles, laugh a little bit more, and not worry so much about the dishes or laundry - but to soak in the baby time.  Because big brother taught me a while back that it goes by way too fast.  And you just cannot get that time back.
So happy 6 month birthday my sweet baby boy Ellis.  You have a mommy, daddy, and brother who love you way too much. 

No comments: