Friday, June 10, 2011

Houdini

Riddle me this.

I put Ellis down in some foot-less pajamas last night.  Due to this, I put some socks on his feet.  When he woke up this morning, I went in to find this...


!!!?????  As great as this child is, I do not believe he is capable of unwrapping his swaddle, taking off his socks, placing them down, then re-swaddling himself.  I mean, the kid just found his left foot yesterday!  I will get to the bottom of this.

This reminds me of a few other mysteries that have occurred in our household:

1) The mystery of the stolen newspaper (Location: San Francisco circa 2009) - Every day for weeks - maybe months - our newspaper was being taken from outside our house.  Mike was furious.  We were convinced it was a crazy, mean neighbor and wanted to catch him in the act.  So, Mike set up a secret hidden camera on our garage door and practiced taping the act.  So somewhere we've got a video of Mike 'pretend stealing' our newspaper.  He also set up a hidden camera in our car that was parked on the street.  Neither approach worked.  One day, Mike got home and noticed the paper was there.  Then went back outside 5 minutes later to retrieve it, only to find it gone!  So I grabbed my camera and raced out to the balcony in the nick of time to video our neighbor coming down the back stairs holding our newspaper.  We attached the picture to a letter to his landlord.  Bam! The funniest part about this is...the newspaper was free.  Like you just have to go online and sign up.  But it was the principal of the matter! - CASE CLOSED.

2) The mystery of the disappearing cat food (Location: San Francisco circa 2009) - During the same time as the newspaper incident we noticed that we'd get home to an empty cat bowl.  You see...we kept that cat bowl downstairs on top of a really tall chest of drawers.  We locked the dogs upstairs.  So even if they could get downstairs, they couldn't get to the food b/c it was on a really tall chest.  Yet every day we'd come home to this empty bowl.  Even our pet sitter got involved.  He was convinced it was a raccoon in our bedroom!  Well, low and behold it was Jerry.  He would shape-shift his body to get through the banisters on the stairs and then was able to jump on top of the chest, eat the food, jump down, and shape-shift back through the banisters. We were left none the wiser. - CASE CLOSED.

3)  The mystery of the disappearing Gymboree package (Location: Concord circa 2010) - I ordered this adorable Christmas sweater with matching gloves and hat for Cavin to sport during the holidays.  It never showed up.  On December 19, 2010 I contacted Fed Ex who stated it arrived on December 9th, 2010 at 2:36pm and gave me a confirmation number.  I contacted the postal service who Fed Ex contracted through and Gymboree - who could care less if I got my cute sweater.  I warned neighbors too.  American Express performed their own investigation too...and no one found the package.  However, Amex ended up reimbursing me for the amount so in that sense the case is closed.  I still keep an eye out for kids in my neighborhood. If any of them show up wearing that sweater it is on!

4) The mystery of the disappearing cookie bouquet (Location: Concord circa 2011) - After Cavin was born, Craig and Amanda sent us a yummy cookie bouquet.  They did the same thing after Ellis was born as well.  When they never heard from me, Craig followed up to ensure we had received it.  Nope...it had been 2 weeks and nothing.  I began to worry that it was stolen from our porch and someone in our neighborhood was indulging in MY Ellis' sugar cookies!  Well, low and behold, Craig gave them my old address in Lafayette.  I'm not sure how Craig did it but he was able to get the cookie company to send me another bouquet.  Meanwhile the new tenants in our old house enjoyed some cookies too! - CASE CLOSED

So my son may of woken up with his socks outside his swaddle...and that may seem strange.  But I will find out what happened and get back to you. In the meantime, it made for a funny moment this morning.

2 comments:

RookieMom Whitney said...

Funny. Reminds me of a mystery I once solved. http://www.rookiemoms.com/the-case-of-the-rookie-mom/

(I started following your blog because I write 510Families.com)

The Spruiells said...

Interesting! So nice of you to work so hard to find the owner of the bad. Poor girl... :)