Monday, September 15, 2008

Following the wildfires... (Part 3 of 3)

Wow am I behind on my blogging...I promise to catch up very soon!


To complete our wildfire experiences for the summer we headed to the booming metropolis of Redding, CA to visit our good friends Will and Jennifer Bond and their adorable baby boy. Redding is about a 3 hour drive north from San Francisco and is allegedly surrounded on 3 sides by mountains, including Mt. Shasta. I had been hearing about this for two years so I was anxiously awaiting to see Mt. Shasta!


As we arrived into Redding we couldn't help but notice the smoke in the air but it really hit us when we opened the car doors. We were in the middle of a campfire! Seriously! I couldn't help but begin thinking about marshmellows and graham crackers b/c it was smore-making time! We were supposed to stay indoors but really what was a little smoke inhalation going to do to us really??? Since it was apparent that I was NOT going to see any mountains this go around, nothing was going to stop me from seeing the infamous multi-million dollar sun dial bridge that I've been hearing about as well. So off we went to check this thing out...and it is truly a site to see.


You can see the shadow in the following picture...it is pointing to the time!





And here's one of Will and I standing by the marker that the shadow points to...telling us what time it is.





Will and Mike on the gazillion dollar bridge...



We were also lucky enough to meet a couple of Will and Jen's friends too...such a fun group of people! We EVEN managed to meet some friends of our own too...


We really had a great time hanging with Will and Jen over the weekend. We will definitely need to make it back if for no other reason but to see this Mt. Shasta that I've been hearing about. And we definitely have motivation to get back there to meet the new Bond girl. Did I mention Jen is expecting??

1 comment:

Will Bond said...

I have been waiting for part 3 of the fire story for months now. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed Redding so much. The fires are gone and the mountains are back. Time for another visit.